Saturday, June 2, 2018

"Learn from your past, don't live in it"

Inserting red flag here: This post is from my perspective. All opinion(s) written below are my own. 

I would just like to say that I am guilty of holding grudges for a long period of time and I let my past control what I do in the present. The past has a huge impact on the decisions I make today and it molds my values and beliefs. So do not read this post and think I am a strong individual who has his life under control, because I am in the same or even worse position than you, the reader, are at the moment. You might be thinking, "Why are you making a blog post about not living in your past if you live in your past?" I would first like to say that you have a point, however, I see this blog post as a letter to myself. I will come on my blog page every day, and I will look at this post and it will remind me that past experiences and events don't control my present. But enough of this self-reflection, lets get back to what this blog post is actually about. 

The problem I tend to see people, including myself, have is that they have a series of bad events or conflicts and the outcome of those events and conflicts causes some type of internal shock. This internal shock now resides with you for a huge period of time controlling what you say, do, and think because you know you don't want the same outcomes to come again. You, the viewer of this blog, is probably wondering what I am talking about? The best way to explain is to demonstrate it is through an example. An example can be that you gave advice to your friend that backfired and your friend got extremely angry at you. Due to this situation, the outcome became a burden on you, and you decided that from now on you wouldn't give people advice because it causes fewer complications. Yes, I agree that this does cause fewer complications because the reality is that you should not be interfering in other peoples conflicts and you're not their spiritual adviser. Your friend, family, significant others and side hoes, should be solving their own problem themselves and you should be going on through your day without that complication. However, it doesn't always work that way because that same friend comes back to you for advice even though it didn't end well the last time you gave advice. You are now in a predicament because your past experience is weighing down on you telling you not to give advice while your friend is standing in front of you asking you for advice. If you say no, it will cause an issue. If you give advice and it backfires again, it will also cause an issue. Now your past is weighing down on your present situation, and you are stuck. What do you do? You use your past experience as a learning experience and you let it go. You do not forget it, and you just stop it from controlling your current situation. What would I do if I was in your position? I give advice if I can and I will explain in very stern words that this advice is my opinion, and I am not telling or advising your friend to take it. Any decisions that your friend makes due to the advice I gave, is fully their responsibility and if they get upset like the previous time, I will no longer be in-service as a friend or adviser. Now you must be thinking, "What did you learn from your past experience?". It's quite clear, by saying what I said, you have learned to communicate better with your friend that the past situation was unacceptable and you will not accept the same outcome this time. Furthermore, you have made it clear that the advice is just advice, you are not forcing any decisions upon them. They have to make the decision themselves. Thus, you have learned quite a lot from a past situation without it burdening and stopping you from doing something in the present situation. 

What was the point of this blog post? If I were to give you an honest answer, there is a reason your past is called the past. It should not intertwine with your present and pull you down. It does not mean that you keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again because I am telling you to not let your past control you. If you know that a past situation does not have a solution and its best to avoid the situation overall, then by all mean do it. Our lives are too short to be having constant drama or causing conflicts over and over again due to the same scenario that happened in the past. Learn from your past experience and let that learning experience help you approach life from a different perspective. 



37 comments:

  1. I personally believe in "Learning from our past experience", because this is what keeps us move forward in life towards achieving goals and success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Also, it helps us make better choices/decisions as we move forward in life.

      Delete
  2. Very well written! Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for me I belive is the past that make s us what we are today... good article please keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is also true! Our past helps us grow and learn which makes us the individuals we are today.

      Delete
  4. Yes we can learn from our past & make our present good. Very good written I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about that, what a good reminder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holding grudges can make you a poison! ice article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we need to not have a grudge, but also not forget. This is a fine line....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pawan, I'm totally agree with you. Learning from the past mistakes is the best thing we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are pearls of wisdom my friend. A lot of us are living in a future given by our past experiences and no wonder are not getting anywhere because of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We shouldn't allow our past experiences to control our present. Live and Learn!

      Delete
  10. You should definitely learn from your past but move one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past is a learning experience -- you take the knowledge learned and you keep it in your arsenal. You don't need to let the past drag you down in the present.

      Delete
  11. I couldn't agree more with this. We can't let our past ruin what could be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Completely agree - I try to live in the moment instead of living in the past or living for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well written, it is best to learn from the past but live in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautifully written blog. I totally agree that past should be our teacher and not master.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your candid opinions. We need to learn from the past and move on. When we hold on to it, we are reliving it everyday. Best.. Backpacking Series.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always nice to read someone else's view and opinion. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes our past is a bif teacher. But then future is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always important to know your history for it not to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's great to take experiences (both good and bad) and find the value in them. Rather than living in the past, you can take the positive or negative from them and move forward, ever growing and evolving.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great principle to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  21. never keep grudges and move on, that's my mantra. learn but let go

    ReplyDelete
  22. Experience is the best teacher but learning from other people's experience is a lot better. Thanks for this great piece

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is very Inspiring, this is major issue my husband had but I am thankful that the lord is releifing him from his past.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Learning from your past is an opportunity to grow. This is a very insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Living in the past is a sad thing. It won't give you positive outcome, just an anchor stopping you to move on.

    ReplyDelete